Thursday, March 22, 2012

Nam Seng Wanton Mee at Far East Square

Despite my fondness of wanton mee, it is really hard to get really excellent wanton mee these days, well, at least for me.

There is always this nagging issue that it is nearly impossible to get every element of a bowl of wanton mee just absolutely right. And add to that, it is sometimes misleading to see long queues at one particular stall, only to find out it is overhyped.

Fortunately, thanks to OMark and Soundman, I was brought to one particularly standout wanton mee just this week at China Square.

Located at a corner of a food court, it was already forming a long queue even before lunchtime, but I was still skeptical. But the moment the bowls landed on my table, I knew I was in for a treat.

Exquisite Noodles

First, and let me get this out the way first. The char siew was pedestrian, and nowhere near how good Foong Kee was when I visited it a few weeks ago. Everything else, was supreme.

The noodles was the absolute star here. I was reliably informed that they had a secret recipe for the sauce that was light and slightly sweet, but nowhere near as moist as the Kok Wee one.

The noodles had an excellent texture, and almost al dente unlike most wanton noodles which are usually too soggy and soft. Brilliant!

Generous and Delicious Wantons

As for the wantons, I ordered the large portion and was surprisingly rewarded with a huge bowl of 6 wantons. Great value for money, and the fillings were delicious and packed a ton of flavors.

As I mentioned, aside from the char siew, this was one of the best bowls of wanton mee for the Silver Chef. I hope other wanton mee stalls take note, as often, there are quite a few who focus so much on char siew and totally ignore the more important factor of the noodles themselves.

At Nam Seng, the noodles reign supreme and totally rocks.

Nam Seng Wanton Mee
25 China Street #01-01
Far East Square

3 comments:

  1. I do love wanton, but i believe wanton here is very delicious base on the picture that i saw here. And seeing those people who line-up infront of the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work in Raffles Place & it was a weekly affair for my colleagues & myself to visit this stall. I like my wanton mee simple & traditional, so this is just perfect.

    The stall was featured on Ch 8 just recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the wanton mee here is normal only...its the best cos there are no better ones around.
    Wanton is so so

    ReplyDelete