Friday, September 7, 2012

Hai Sheng Fried Carrot Cake at Bedok North

Here is the first of two posts on fried carrot cake. And for me, fried carrot cake is something I simply adore as an outside snack, and also something I don't do at home.

The combination of daikon, carrot, egg and spring onion has a simplicity that can always still impress any palate. Yet, good hawker stalls that service this dish is still a rarity here.

Thankfully, thanks to a foodie friend, I managed to uncover this rather brilliant little stall in Bedok. And they also have a second branch in Ang Mo Kio that is equally as good.

Judging by the crowd during lunchtime, this is a rather popular outlet, and the prices here still start at $2, which came as a delightful surprise to me.

Rising food costs these days has been one of my main gripes, and to find $2 hawker food is almost a thing of the past. But, let's get to the carrot cake itself.

Fried Carrot Cake (White Style)

I always judge a good carrot cake first by its appearance. And I am always looking for a nice golden brown sheen on the outside, and also hoping that it will not be too greasy.

Visually, Hai Sheng's carrot cake ticked all the right boxes here. It was also visibly flat and not too dispersed, and color wise, it could not have been more perfect.

Taking a quick bite, I could get all the flavors of the carrot, daikon base, fried egg and spring onions in one explosive burst. 

Everything on offer was just brilliant. There was a total nice balance of flavors and caramelization that worked together. And because it was not too oily, it did not elicit a too rich feeling as well.

All in all, a wonderfully done carrot cake that looked and tasted beautiful. I will be visiting the AMK outlet soon, and will gather that it will be pretty much the same.

You should too.

Hai Sheng Fried Carrot Cake
Blk 216, Bedok North Street 1
#1-49

1 comment: