Thursday, October 25, 2012

Minced Pork Noodle - Excellent Bak Chor Mee in Tampines

I have never been a real fan of Bak Chor Mee, or minced pork noodles as it otherwise known here. Somehow, I have never found one that really tickled me pink and while I have heard of famous ones like Tai Hwa, I have never been there to savor it either.

Thankfully, in a corner of Tampines, tucked away in a rather large coffeeshop, is a inconspicuous looking food stall that actually serves up a very good Bak Chor Mee.

I understand the owner of this stall actually used to work at the more illustrious Tai Hwa outlet and has perhaps learned his craft there. 

In any case, he has started his own humble BCM stall in Tampines and is doing quite alright from the looks of it.

Dry Minced Pork Noodles

The first thing that struck me when the bowl of BCM hit my table was how springy the noodles looked.  And true enough, when I savored it, it had that amazing bounce and bite. The owner sure knows how to cook his noodles.

Though his fish balls are outsourced, I must say that he does know how to cook them to perfection. And by perfect, I mean that he does not overcook the livers and pork slices like most hawkers do. The pork livers were superbly pink and tender.

Dumpling Soup

In addition to the noodles, we also had a separate bowl of dumpling soup to go along. The first thing you realize if you eat here is that he hardly use any MSG, as the soup did not have that intensity you get elsewhere.

But that is how I actually prefer soup stocks to be made, full of natural flavors which can be quite subtly blander, but once you have enough of it, it is actually quite intoxicating.

The dumplings themselves were good and certainly did have that homemade taste about them. It may not be stunning, but it felt like comfort food and had a certain warmth about it. It also had a nice crunch of deep fried fish bits that added a touch of slight sweetness to the broth.

The Owner

The owner himself was rather shy and my friend had told me he suffers from a certain condition where he cannot stand too long as his legs are rather affected.

It is scenes like this that reminds one of the times we are in, when a normal hawker like him has to work so hard to provide a living, yet has to endure daily pain in his legs. In his own quiet way, he is rather a beacon to all modest hawkers of Singapore.

The difference is, this particular owner cooks up one incredible bowl of minced pork noodle. Do come and support him, I urge you.

Minced Pork Noodle
CCMW (Chang Cheng Mei Hua Coffeeshop)
Blk 201C 
Tampines Street 21

No comments:

Post a Comment