Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pauline's Omelette

There are nights where Pauline would work until quite late at night, and often there would be very little choice to buy outside food for dinner.

Typically, she would settle for a simple omelette when she reaches back home, and out of all these occasions, I decided to do an omelette dish specifically for her, which is a very simple recipe.

They say how well a person cooks can be determined by how well he or she can cook a good egg dish. I find this to be somewhat true too.

I been cooking eggs for years, and I must say, it took me quite awhile to do a decent omelette. You may be surprised how easy and difficult it can be doing a good omelette.

To begin, chopped a whole onion and a few strips of bacon. Dice the bacon to bite sized pieces. Crack about 6 eggs and beat them.

Normally, I seldom use butter to saute my ingredients, and also when there is bacon involved, you do not even need oil as there is enough fat in the bacon. But for this omelet, I will start off with a large knob of butter to saute the onions for a minute or 2.

Next, add in the bacon and fry them until there is a nice fragrant aroma. Next add in the eggs and let it fill up the entire pan. Let the eggs cook on the side until the omelette is ready to be flipped.

Add some fresh thyme or any herb of your choice for that nice perfume. Season generously with pepper but hold off on the salt as the bacon should be more than savory enough. Add some grated Parmesan cheese as well into the onion and bacon mixture.

Flip the pan to let the omelette fold half of itself. Add some more cheese on top and once the eggs are cooked, plate it by flipping it on the other side of the omelet. Add more grated Parmesan if you like and garnish with more fresh herbs.

As commented by a friend, the final product looks like a cross between a lasagna and an Indian murtabak (a meat stuffed roti prata), but tastes entirely different. The sweetness of the onions will balance nicely with the salty and rich bacon, and the cheese just adds a nice lift to the flavors.

5 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you, Ian. I found the easiest dishes like Fried Rice & Fried Eggs are often the most difficult to tackle.

    I love Chai Poh Omelette & Fried Rice & really fussy about it. Not many places offer good ones. I must admit that my own eggs & fried rice are not up to the standard that I like cause I've very high expectations. LOL!

    I can manage Western Omelette much better than Chinese ones as stuff like Chai Poh eggs need to be a little crispy on the outside. When I'm cooking Western Omelette, I like to add a little milk to give it an extra smooth texture & it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, adding milk helps, and some folks use milk to scramble eggs too. That's why i use butter for my omelettes.

    Never tried chai poh egg yet, but i do agree they can be quite tricky, and also, chinese fried eggs tend to be more dry, i prefer to have a bit of that runny eggness in my egg dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is quite like the classic French omelette! Yours looks damn delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dirtystall: haha, didnt know what a french omelette was made of, but thanks :)

    cactuskit: i am a lucky man too in many ways to have her :)

    ReplyDelete